7 Surprising Health Benefits of Eating Seaweed
Here are 7 science-backed benefits of seaweed.
*Seaweed or sea vegetables are forms of algae that grow in the sea. They’re a food source for ocean life and range in color from red to green to brown to black.
*Seaweed grows along rocky shorelines around the world, but it’s most commonly eaten in Asian countries such as Japan, Korea and China.
*It’s extremely versatile and can be used in many dishes, including sushi rolls, soups and stews, salads, supplements and smoothies.
1. Seaweed contains a concentrated source of iodine and an amino acid called tyrosine. Your thyroid gland requires both to function properly.
2. Seaweed contains a wide range of vitamins and minerals, including iodine, iron, and calcium.
3. Seaweed contains a wide range of antioxidants, such as vitamins A, C and E, carotenoids and flavonoids. These antioxidants protect your body from cell damage.
4. Seaweed contains fiber and sugars, both of which can be used as food sources for the bacteria in your gut. This fiber can also increase the growth of “good” bacteria and nourish your gut.
5. Seaweed may help you lose weight because it contains few calories, filling fiber and fucoxanthin, which contributes to an increased metabolism.
6. Seaweed may help reduce your cholesterol, blood pressure and risk of blood clots, but more studies are needed.
7. Fucoxanthin, alginate and other compounds in seaweed may help reduce your blood sugar levels, consequently reducing your risk of diabetes.
Click to explore
14 Creative Ways to Use Food Scraps