Earlier this week, ESPN updated its FPI predictions for the upcoming college football season.
BYU, who returns more experience than any roster in the country, is expected to go 7-5 according to FPI.
We agreed with some of FPI's projections and disagreed with others.
Today, we'll rank the most difficult games on BYU's schedule from our perspective.
12. November 19th - vs Utah Tech Trailblazers BYU's FPI Win Probability: 99.7% Utah Tech, formerly known as Dixie State, travels to Provo in late November.
11. September 24th - vs Wyoming Cowboys BYU's FPI Win Probability: 86.6% BYU will host Wyoming in a battle of former conference foes. The Cowboys lost multiple contributors to the transfer portal over the offseason.
10. October 28th - vs East Carolina Pirate BYU's FPI Win Probability: 80.0% This season, BYU will have the opportunity to avenge a 2017 loss at East Carolina. FPI lists BYU as a heavy favorite with an 80% chance to win.
9. October 22nd - @ Liberty Flames BYU's FPI Win Probability: 58.1% BYU will be playing its eighth game in eight weeks when it travels across the country to take on Liberty. FPI has BYU as only a slight favorite with a 58% chance to win.
8. September 29th - vs Utah State Aggies BYU's FPI Win Probability: 82.0% BYU will host in-state rival Utah State on a Thursday night. The Aggies lose a lot of production from last year's team that won the Mountain West.
7. September 3rd - @ USF Bull BYU's FPI Win Probability: 64.8% BYU's opener against USF in September will be a battle of the two most experienced teams in the country. Last week, ESPN's Bill Connelly updated his annual returning production rankings - BYU and USF ranked first and second in the country, respectively.
6. November 26th - @ Stanford Cardinal BYU's FPI Win Probability: 52.9% A regular season finale at Stanford will wrap up BYU's 2022 slate. Stanford was downright bad last season, but the Cardinal has the talent to rebound in 2022. FPI's way-too-early prediction for this game is a tossup with BYU having a 53% chance to win.
5. November 5th - @ Boise State Broncos BYU's FPI Win Probability: 43.0% BYU will travel to Boise to take on the Broncos in a game that could avenge last year's loss in Provo. That loss to Boise State arguably kept BYU out of a NY6 Bowl. This game could be the final chapter of a decade-long rivalry. Earlier this year, BYU cancelled its future games with the Broncos as it prepares to enter the Big 12 in 2023.
4. September 17th - @ Oregon Ducks BYU's FPI Win Probability: 25.9% The Ducks will be replacing 2021 starting quarterback Anthony Brown this season. Former Auburn quarterback Bo Nix transferred to Oregon after last season and is a candidate to replace Brown.
3. October 15th - vs Arkansas Razorbacks BYU's FPI Win Probability: 46.4% BYU will face off against an SEC opponent in Lavell Edwards Stadium for the first time since Mississippi State in 2016. The Razorbacks have been on the rise as a program and they have SEC talent throughout the roster.
2. September 10th - vs Baylor Bears BYU's FPI Win Probability: 42.8% Last year, BYU traveled to Waco and lost 38-24. The Bears pounded the ball on the ground, and the Cougars had no response defensively; Baylor ran for over 300 yards and 4 touchdowns. Baylor would go on to win the Big 12 championship and the Sugar Bowl.
1. October 8th vs Notre Dame Fighting Irish (Las Vegas) BYU's FPI Win Probability: 18.4% The most difficult game on BYU's schedule according to ESPN FPI. BYU will travel to Las Vegas to take on Notre Dame in Allegiant Stadium. This game is part of Notre Dame's annual Shamrock Series, so Notre Dame will be considered the home team.