This STORY chia seeds and weight loss:what you need to know
* Chia seed water is exactly what it sounds like: A spoonful of chia seeds dropped into a glass of water. But why?
* Chia seeds can absorb as much as 12 times their weight. When they get wet, they swell in size and take on a gelatinous texture — which is a polite way of saying that they get pretty slimy. Think tapioca, but less flavorful.
* The idea behind drinking chia seed water is that the wet seeds will enlarge in your stomach and take up space, preventing you from getting hungry.
* That may, in turn, cause you to become less hungry and ultimately help you to lose weight. So does it work? In a word, yes. Kind of.
* “The chia seeds mix with the water and your gastric juices, and they expand in your stomach,” Czerwony confirms. “It keeps you fuller longer because it takes up space, and all of that soluble fiber slows down digestion.”
* When your digestion slows, your body releases blood sugar at a slower rate, preventing the spikes and valleys in blood sugar that cause increased appetite