7 Great Reasons to Add Dragon Fruit to Your Diet
Here are 7 health benefits of dragon fruit, all based on evidence.
* Dragon fruit, also known as pitahaya or strawberry pear, is a tropical fruit known for its vibrant red skin and sweet, seed-speckled pulp.
* Its unique look and acclaimed superfood powers have made it popular among foodies and the health-conscious.
* Luckily, you don’t have to live in the tropics to enjoy the many benefits of dragon fruit. In fact, you can find it fresh or frozen in supermarkets worldwide.
1. Dragon fruit is low in calories but rich in vitamins, minerals and beneficial plant compounds such as polyphenols, carotenoids and betacyanins.
2. Dragon fruit contains the antioxidants vitamin C, beta-carotene, lycopene and betalain. Studies have linked diets high in antioxidants to a reduced risk of chronic disease.
3. Dragon fruit offers 7 grams of fiber per serving, making it an excellent choice for meeting your daily fiber needs.
4. Dragon fruit may promote the growth of healthy bacteria in the gut, which is associated with a healthy gastrointestinal tract.
5. Dragon fruit’s high supply of vitamin C and carotenoids may offer immune-boosting properties.
6. Dragon fruit supplies iron along with vitamin C, a combination that may improve your body’s absorption of this important mineral.
7. Dragon fruit is a great source of magnesium, a nutrient needed for over 600 biochemical reactions in your body.
* Dragon fruit is surprisingly simple to prepare and can be eaten by itself or added to salads, smoothies and yogurt.
Click to explore
8 Health Benefits of Fasting, Backed by Science