The rogue-lite tower defense indie game Guardians of Holme, developed by MossTech Studio, is now playable via the Early Access portion of Steam. It exceeded my expectations in terms of how much I enjoyed it.
In exchange for my review of Guardians of Holme for PC and Steam, I was given a free digital code. I have expressed my own opinions, which are exclusively mine.
There are a plethora of different tower defense video games to choose from. Because of this, what finally sets one video game apart from its contemporaries is determined by its features and capabilities. In my opinion, Guardians of Holme has done an excellent job of marketing itself as a tower defense game that offers something slightly different from the norm.
It is easy to pick up. Consists of a hilarious component. In addition, the actual construction of towers inside the game world is not the primary emphasis of the gameplay process. My attention was drawn to the most recent promotion for a specific purpose.
The narrative is straightforward. After reawakening, the Demon King has sent his army of demons to the Royal City, where they are either there to do destruction or, as far as I can remember, to collect glittering protection stones.
The objective of each level is for you, the player, to stop the demon army from reaching the protecting gem. You do this by setting up booby traps and deploying various weapons to wipe off the military before it can get the jewel.
I could only converse with Seth and Nicole in the Early Access version, even though the game showed me all three characters. Seth is an expert artisan specializing in designing traps, while Nicole is a childhood friend with mystical abilities.
The third character, Horus, is an experienced combat leader who can effectively direct guards. Every character in the game has a unique gameplay style determined by the traps and weapons that may be used against them.
In addition, their Stats are not the same. For example, Seth has 4600 Resources, 100 Coins, and 30 Health Points. In contrast, Nicole starts out with 4900 Resources, along with 20 Health and 100 Coins. She also has 100 Coins.
Anyway, the game told me to start playing as Seth initially. Then I proceeded in such a manner.
Finishing the game’s first few stages should take little effort. You are taken to a labyrinth location with a door that, when opened, would release the demons. As a result of a glowing marker, you can view the route the demons take to get the gem (which is concealed in some parts of the labyrinth).
You must devise a strategy to make the most of your Resource Points and strategically position traps and armaments along the paths the army may take to get to the gem if you want to stop them from getting there first.
The pitfalls and weapons you can employ are determined by the cards you draw and the number of Resource Points you have. You can access various traps and weapons as you go through the game. In addition to that, some enhancements may be made to them.
Regarding the route the demons will take to reach the gem, you can place obstructions in their path to postpone the moment they get the glory and expose them to extra traps along the way.
To slay the waves of monsters that appear in each level, you must develop new techniques due to the wide variety of demons that appear in the fight against these adversaries. While some of your foes can fly over obstacles or heal other afflictions, others may be able to run very swiftly.
This particular tower defense game does not include the construction of any towers, as was previously said. Instead, traps and weapons are strewn around the room’s walls and floor.
When you are ready to connect a gun to a wall, you will be given the option of selecting the firing direction for the firearm. The one-direction mechanism for the guns and traps gives the impression that the item placement was more intentional than it would have been if each web had been designed to shoot arrows or anything else in a 360-degree arc.
Various weapons and traps, of course, each have their unique effects. A few of these will make the foes move more slowly. Some will poison them, while others will make them powerless. My personal favorites were the cards that featured rapid-fire weapons.
The weapons ran out of power more rapidly, but you could reduce the time needed to recharge by acquiring access to more helpful cards. You may also find or unlock a variety of relics that will reward you with bonuses while you are playing the game.
Even Seth had some unique abilities. His abilities include rigging a clamp trap and causing arrows to rain down from the sky. It is not necessary to spend Resource Points in order to activate his abilities.
They did, however, have a cooldown period that was adjustable by specific upgrades and could be reduced in length. Seth’s abilities came in extremely handy when a few of the demons could avoid my traps and come relatively close to the gem we were protecting.
The hit points, or HP, measure how many strikes the gem can sustain until it eventually cracks and causes you to lose. If you finish each level with many health points, your chances of survival will increase as you go through the game.
You are blessed with the option to advance your health points. You can participate in several extra tasks at the beginning of each level or rest at a campsite to get more health points if your mission is successful.
Depending on your preference, you may choose how fast or slow to play this game. You have a significant amount of time to prepare your initial traps before the waves even begin to come. On the right is a list of the opponents waiting for you at the end of each wave. In addition, the action may be sped up or slowed down by clicking the “fast-forward” sign at the bottom right corner of the screen. If you’d like, you may pause as well.
Everything about it is highly user-friendly, especially as you continue to kill demons; you gain Resource Points that you can use to tweak your current traps or create other surprises. You may also use these Resource Points to construct other traps.
One of the game’s mechanisms that I liked was that players could sell the traps they had previously placed. It was a huge advantage to do this during the last waves when the demons were getting closer and closer to the gem despite having avoided the traps that were put up near the portal.
You should now proceed to sell the surprises placed at the beginning of the voyage. After that, you should spend the Resource Points that you have just acquired to set up new traps and weaponry near the gem.
Once again, I loved how the game prioritized players’ pleasure above making them apprehensive whenever a new wave of monsters came.
In addition, I want to draw your attention to the music.
- It would be helpful to add more specific examples of the different traps and weapons that can be used in the game and how they affect the demons. This would give readers better understanding of the gameplay mechanics and strategy involved.
- The review could benefit from a more explicit structure, such as breaking down the different aspects of the game (narrative, gameplay, characters, etc.) into separate sections. This would make it easier for readers to navigate and comprehend the information presented.
- Including screenshots or gameplay footage of the game would enhance the review and provide readers with a visual representation of the gameplay and graphics. This would allow them to envision the game better, and 1. Add more descriptive language to paint a clearer picture of the game world. For example, instead of saying, “The traps and weapons are strewn around the room’s walls and floor,” describe how they are strategically placed to create a maze of death for the demon army.
- Include specific examples of the traps and weapons available in the game and how they can be used in different situations. This will help readers understand the gameplay mechanics and make more informed decisions when playing the game.
- Add a section that discusses the game’s replayability factor, such as additional difficulty levels or randomized levels. This will give readers a better idea of how much value they can expect to get out of the game after completing it once. Motivate them to try it out. Even after hours of gameplay, I found the piece varied, and What are the specific features and capabilities that set Guardians of Holme apart from other tower defense games? Who are the developers of Guardians of Holme? How does the game compare to other tower defense games in terms of gameplay and difficulty? The atmosphere was appropriate for the steampunk fantasy setting.
The whimsical visuals provide a lot of visual appeal.
The fact that Guardians of Holme has a rogue-lite mode is, in my opinion, what gives the game its addictive quality. You may always give it another go in the future with more complex tools, so even if you fail this time, you should still be pleased with how far you’ve come. Because I still had other things to do on my To-Do list, I had to resist the urge to keep playing it for many more hours.
In the current version, players already have a wide variety of options available, so I’m curious to see what the development team has in store for them as they continue improving this game.